Still looking for a dessert for your Thanksgiving Dinner? Look no further.
Have you ever had sweet potato casserole?
You know the one. Its sweet and sugary and loaded with marshmallows on top.
Basically a dessert, but somehow served alongside the turkey?
Well, this is a take off on that, but in pie form.
Start by making a sweet potato pie.
Then add marshmallows to the top and broil it for a few minutes.
Marshmallowy goodness blanketing your pie.
- 1/2 cup Sweet White Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Tapioca Flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons Spectrum Shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
Sweet Potato Filling:
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 1 lb)
- 1 cup Almond Milk + 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1 bag (10oz) of marshmallows
- Spray a 9 inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Mix flours, cornstarch, sugar, xanthan gum and salt in mixer. Add shortening and mix until crumbly.
- Add in egg and vinegar and mix on low speed until the dough comes together. It should not be sticky.
- Form dough into a ball and place between two pieces of wax paper. Flatten the dough out to 1 inch thickness, then place in the fridge for 30mins.
- Remove dough from the fridge. Roll the dough between the two sheets of wax paper. Place dough in prepared pie pan, crimping the edges.
- Bake for 10mins at 375°.
- Remove from oven and fill with sweet potato pie filling.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cook sweet potatoes in the microwave. Let cool, then peel.
- Place sweet potato into a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Add in the Almond Milk and lemon juice. Next add in the eggs, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pulse to combine.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Bake until the center is set, about 50mins.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Cover the top of the pie with the marshmallows. Place the pie on a baking sheet (to catch any marshmallows the melt over the edge).
- Broil until browned, under 1 min. Turn off the broiler and leave the pie in the oven with the door closed until the marshmallows are softened (about 2-3mins).
- Cool slightly before serving.